3 reasons why I no longer recommend exercise for weight loss

But aren’t you a personal trainer? How can you say that you don’t recommend exercise when that is kind of what you do?

I know it’s a bold statement, especially with today’s exercise culture. It seems counterintuitive to create workouts for people and say it’s not good for weight loss but in my 20 years, I have watched many people start and stop a workout routine. Even myself working at a gym struggled with consistency. Talk about the excuse of the century. Imagine you work at a gym and you still can’t get a workout done. But I’ll save that story for another time.

Here is why I no longer recommend working out as a focus for weight loss…

Workouts only account for 4% of your day.

When you look at the big picture, working out for an hour a day is only 4% of the day… what we are doing the other 96% can have a much greater impact long term. What quality of sleep are you getting on average? What would you rate the level of stress you are experiencing? How well are you fueling your body? How much do you move (or not move) throughout the day?

Higher risk for injuries when you have excess body weight.

The added weight on your joints can cause more damage than good when you’re starting a workout routine. You are far better off, losing some weight before starting anything vigorous. Also, just want to add that when you lose the weight, how much more enjoyable will it be to move your body without having a small child on your back that you are having to carry as well.

Not sustainable for most people who are sedentary.

Technology today makes comfort and ease a priority. And while I love having both of those, jumping from the couch to a 90 minute daily workout is just not sustainable long term. That’s biting off more than you can chew when your body is accustomed to sitting around all day.

Look the reality is, with the amount of options to exercise these days… and if exercise were the answer, don’t you think we’d all be in a lot better shape?

Believe me, I’m all for having a healthy movement plan, but not at the risk of injury or self-shame for “not” doing a workout. Moving your body is an act of love when it’s something you truly enjoy doing. I know how overwhelming the 96% of your day can feel. I also know the amount of noise surrounding what to eat and what not to eat. I understand feeling like I “should” workout and feeling shame when I didn’t.

Working out is not the answer to your weight issues. I promise you, there is a safer, healthier way to lose weight, increase energy, burn off the stress. And it’s much more sustainable long term!

If you’re ready to break up with the concept of “exercise to lose weight”, let’s chat. Click here to schedule a free consultation and let’s do this together!