People often tell themselves “stories” about why they can’t lose weight. “They don’t have the time, they don’t know what is right to eat, and it’s overwhelming or hard.” These are stories that we tell ourselves to make ourselves feel better about why we aren’t performing at our full potential. The honest truth is you’re missing the 4 steps to achieving any goal in life… Priority, Preparation, and Persistence and Purpose…
Priority– What is my biggest priority? Losing weight vs. Watching TV
Preparation– What can I do to prepare for what I need to do to achieve my goal?
Persistence– Do I have the persistence within to overcome any challenges?
Purpose– What is the purpose of me achieving this goal?
Changing your look in the mirror means changing the way you look at life. Losing weight (and keeping it off) is more then adjusting your diet, its more then just doing an hour of cardio. You must realize that in order to change your appearance you must first change the way you think and feel about your daily habits, your food intake and your workouts. With the 4 P’s, you will organize your life while achieving your goals. It’s not easy and it does take some effort, but if reaching your goal is a MUST, then you’ll do what it takes! No one has made it a law that you must change EVERY bad habit that you’ve had for 10, 20 or even 30 years. It’s taken a lifetime to get where you are at today, but luckily it won’t take a lifetime to change. Like babies, you learn to crawl before you walk and you walk before you run!
Here are some simple easy changes that will get you headed in the right direction. Success!!
- Decide on where you’re going to end up.
- Write down your goal down on paper. Seeing your goal written on paper will give you a more definite idea of where you are heading.
- Place your written goal in places you see everyday (i.e. Bathroom mirror, in your car, at your desk, refrigerator door). This will keep you constantly focused on your goal. If you see it, you’ll think twice about every decision you make, by asking yourself, “Will this help me get to my goal?”
- Set a schedule you can stick too.
- Do you realize that we have 17 hours in a day that we are in Awake Mode? Lets say you work 8 of them, what are you doing the other 9 hours!!!
- Create a template of when you plan on eating and working out. Make it an appointment that you CANNOT miss. If you have trouble keeping track of time, create an alarm on your computer or phone to keep you on track. Do this everyday… even on the weekend. Having meals every 2-3 hours will kick start your metabolism while giving you the most energy.
- Your workouts are a gift to your body. Make a commitment to your body that you will be in the gym Monday, Wednesday and Friday for 45 minutes!
- Keep a journal
- This may sound like a lot of work, but it’s only a lot of work if you don’t do it throughout the day. As humans, we like the thrill of procrastination, but with changing our lifestyles, it takes persistent action.
- Writing down your activities and food will keep you accountable. Once a week I suggest showing a spouse or friend. You’ll make better food choices if you have to show someone what you ate.
These 3 things will help you get started, stay focused and keep you accountable. Remember, no one can make this happen for you. It is your body, your RESPONSIBILTY! Take control of your life today!